Thursday, January 1, 2004

Live jazzed or die

Ephedra products sell fast ahead of ban: "People have been buying it like crazy," co-owner Christopher Pappas said. "They know it's going to be taken off the shelf so they're stocking up."

Well, another year, another opportunity to become a criminal by doing something to your own body, of your own free will, that the government doesn't like. Granted, this stuff actually is bad for you. I once tried a weight-loss product containing ephedra and my heart racketed around in my chest for hours. So I tossed it out. Period. My choice.

Understand, I am not a big fan of "supplements." Without FDA quality standards and sound research, there's no telling what a given potion actually does, or even whether it contains what the label says is in there. But if I know that and want to take it anyway, shouldn't that be my right? Slap a warning label on it and get out of my face.

And while we're at it, let's see some stats on how many people die each year of reactions to prescription and mainstream over-the-counter medication. I bet THAT would give you a heart attack.

No comments: